Who is Eligible for McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Services?
Serving students in transition in all public school districts and charter schools throughout Michigan ensures that all students are provided with seamless educational services regardless of their current housing situation.
Students eligible for support are those who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes:
• Those living on the street, in a car, in an abandon building, etc.
• Those living in shelters and transitional housing programs
• Those living in campgrounds, motels and hotels
• Those who are doubled up with family and friends due to loss of housing or economic hardship
• Those recently placed in a foster home (within the past six months)
• Those who have run away or otherwise are not accompanied by a legal parent or guardian
Students in the above living situations may continue to attend school where they were last enrolled (prior to losing their housing) or may immediately enroll in the district where they are temporarily staying (even if they lack enrollment documents such as birth certificates, immunizations, and proof of residency). Transportation may be provided if necessary.
Mrs. Amy Blackledge
4340 Walz Rd.
Jackson, MI 49201